Hello everyone, Welcome to UK Volunteer’s week. 1st – 7th June is UK Volunteers’ Week, where organisations across the
country make a special effort to recognise and celebrate the fantastic contribution millions of volunteers make to their communities across the UK
Here at AFRIL, we are proud to join this celebration and recognition of our amazing volunteer teams.
And now for a few interesting facts about volunteering across the UK:
- In 2017/18, 20.1 million (38%) people volunteered formally at least once a year and 11.8 million (22%) of people did so at least once a month.
- Wanting to do good was the most common motivation to volunteer. In 2017/18, 46% of people said that they volunteer to improve things and help others.
- In 2015/16, there were around 166,000 voluntary organisations in the UK, most of which rely on volunteers.
- In 2015, volunteering was worth more than 22.6 billion to the UK economy. This is equivalent to about 1.2% of GDP.
- 67% of volunteers give their time to charities or community groups, but many others also volunteer in the public and private sectors.*
* NCVO Volunteers Week data https://volunteersweek.org/
And finally, as well as helping others, volunteering has been shown to improve volunteers’ well-being too. Volunteering can build self-esteem, develop skills and experience, helps people feel connected with their local communities … and it’s fun! Please enjoy Volunteers’ Week with us – spread the word about AFRIL and continue to enjoy what you do with us.